Monday, April 18, 2011

A Long Overdue Update!!!

A HUGELY overdue update...I am so, so, soooo out of the loop when it comes to the DOC...YIKES...I can't believe it's been over 2 months!!! *hanging head down in shame*

Well, life's been super busy. Can't complain though...we got a new nurse! She's fantastic and Miss E has really started to find her groove again and is very comfortable with her. I have to say, being without a full time nurse was a real eye-opener. We went through a tough spot for awhile but have come out the other end with more confidence and some added wisdom when it comes to managing d in school.

I took both my girls to their Endo last week, I always stress out over that...usually worried about A1C's and all that stuff. I'm happy to say that Miss E and Lil Miss C are doing great! Their doctor was very happy, the girls are growing like crazy and their A1C's were good. We have seen a trend though with Miss E lately in her night time bg's...she has been having a lot of highs, some nights she'll go to bed in the low to mid 100's and a few hours later she's in the high 200's. Last night before bed her bg was 156, 3 hours later it was 299 and that's with her only having a protein snack before bed! I thought that the reading was wrong so I retested and it was 309, I did a correction and set my alarm for a few hours later and her bg had went down to 178...good...two and half hours later it was up to 218! Yes, a mystery for sure. I didn't correct because she still had active insulin in her system and when she woke up for school...248!

This is a new trend for us, Miss E runs high all night and Lil Miss C has been having great overnight numbers with an occasional low bg in the mornings. So needless to say, it's been pretty frustrating. We're now looking into possibly pumping, her endo thinks that this would be our best bet to get better control over those overnight highs. So...a brand new beginning!!! PUMPING!!! Just the thought of it sends a million different emotions running through me, I know that anything new can seem scary, I do have a lot to learn so don't be surprised if I start throwing out 101 questions to all my DOC pumping pros!

9 comments:

  1. Hooray for a fantastic new nurse! :)

    We're still on MDI, too, and while we'll begin pumping soon, and while I'm excited about that, the thought of pumping sends my mind spinning, too! Good luck as you embark on this new journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! Sounds like things are going smoothly. I can't say I have answers but I do have a little help from all these fab ladies (and gentlemen) here in the DOC with pumping when we need it. Our endo team is pretty wonderful too since they're very in tune with technology.
    Hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading along! Good luck with the pumping journey... One we r yet to take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are still around and kicking strong!!! Our Ellie will be taking a pump class nect month and we will start pumping in July . . . oh my . . . you and me BOTH will be peppering the DOC with questions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Isn't it hard to stay faithful to blogging and live life at the same time? I don't know how other bloggers do it, but they are amazing!

    I bet you will love pumping. One that that amazes me is how small a dose you can give and what a difference it makes.

    For example, sometimes I will raise or lower Matthew's basal by .05 for a couple of hours. It totals maybe .15 of a unit. It seems like such a small amount, but it will make a huge difference in his numbers.

    The pump is amazing. I also love being able to do tiny corrections (especially at night).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thought I'd check you out since you checked me out! :)
    We are one of those 'no nurse' people...well, there is a nurse there one day a week, but I don't really count that! Thankfully we have a great secretary and TA who take on most of the responsibility to oversee Bean's tests and pump boluses. We started school on MDI and it was soooo nice when Bean switched to OmniPod. I had to be there for her lunch shot everyday.
    Hope this new nurse sticks around for next school year so a relationship can be developed. It's so important for the kiddos to feel comfortable with those 'helping' with their care at school. Trust makes a world of difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things are going well for you guys! I am excited you are looking into pumping. The learning curve kicked my trash a little bit, but after that it has just been at dream! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you! Glad to hear all is well. Pumping seems scary but is soon just another routine and it is so much easier to "tweak! those numbers. We love it and are quite new to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOHOOOOOOOOO!!! On the nurse Connie. It sounds like it was a challenge in the beginning but you are all the "better" for it now. D in school can be tough. So many, many, many variables.

    AND...

    Let me know if you have any questions on the pump...I am an Animas Girl...Joe has talked a bit about the pod. I don't think we will switch until a few kinks are taken care of with the Omnipod though.

    Good to hear from you. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete